People may at times find themselves in a counselling role by accident, as a result of conversations or requests from customers, colleagues, friends or others. This workshop provides practical and effective skills to step into the shoes of a counsellor, and be prepared to respond to and support others when they’re angry, distressed or experiencing a challenging time.
By the end of this course participants will be able to:
- identify signs of people needing emotional support
- improve communication and active listening skills
- practice counselling techniques relevant to participants’ roles
- learn techniques to appropriately respond to aggressive or distressed clients, and crisis situations
- understanding of mental illness and suicide intervention
- gain helpful support options and referrals
- develop skills to maintain own professional boundaries and self-care strategies.